|Ndalbon, Samuel N.
Mbamnga village in 1900 and 1976. A study in
Department of Geography, Teacher's College,
Unpublished Local Study
: pop c 8000 1963 censu = 7932
10 Before 1900 group callled Julro from Kimi settled at
Ngui. They were later joined by the other grouops who
were +/_ hostile eg Fru is "closed" to Julro "because"
of a illegitimate pregnancy which "caused" a war
between Julro and Fru (in alliance with Bal). The Julro
were then driven out of the village, and their site was
occupied by people from Fru and some others henceforth
called Nguni after the place. The peplpe of Mbar used
to live at Gur, but were driven off to their present
site by thge people of Duk.
33 Juju in month of May, used to be at Fuh also in
November a dance which women cannot see starting at Fuh
hen going to Nguni, Kulshin, Fru, Duk and Mbar.
33a No knives etc to sacred enclosures, stones of fire
place must not be moved, must wear trad. dress when
entering. Else get ill unless pay goat! Old belief: if
swallow saliva while on path crossing sacred enclosure
then cough will enter family. Water from Kulshin stream
(rising to N/w of village) given to new born baby. Also
called "nemoh meh" = water of mother. The Fu stream (N
of village) called Nemoh Rumeh = juju's water since
pray for rain if it doesnt come at right time by going
to enclosure, making medicine then juju goes to drink
the water of this stream. Leader of this is called
Kamvur Hill called Kielshin to N, and to S a hill with
standing stone are sacred - ancestors? Could not burn
grass on them. Cave for shelter in war - standing
stones nearby. They also hid in the grass on the hilll.
The skulls of witches were thrown into the forest in
the centre. The Toma people are believed to have
"migrated" into the pond following a woman who had
married a man from "in there" About 3/4 of the Toma
went, the rest are scattered among the rest of
© Copyright 2006 Kent University & the